I wanted to share a little weekend DIY for restoring your faded headlights on my 2001 Pathfinder. I’m talking about the plastic assembly that is exposed to the weather, stones, bugs and everything else.
1. Before picture.
2. Materials I used included chiffons, sanding block, sandpaper 600 and 1500 grit, respirator, masking tape, rubbing compound (not pictured), and clear coat (not pictured).
3. Clean the headlight and surrounding area. Let dry and begin masking around the area to protect it from the work ahead.
4. Dry sand the headlight assembly using 600 grit with a sanding block. Work it down to remove existing scratches. Put on your respirator when sanding.
5. Wet sand the headlight assembly using 1500 grit. You can work your way in steps up to 2000 grit I think but I only used 2 steps.
6. I used a damp chiffon and applied rubbing compound. Make sure you work it good with back and forth strokes. Follow the instructions in the rubbing compound label.
7. I then moved the car inside the garage where the environment is a little more controlled to prepare for the clear coat application. I used newspaper to mask and protect a larger area. You don’t need to apply clear coat if you are going to be using finer grit and a polishing compound. I used a clear coat to give it that extra protection.
8. Wear a respirator when spraying clear coat. First coating of clear coat should be light and tacky.
9. Second coating of clear coat should be applied after the first coat is dry (about 15 mins) and slightly heavier.
10. Final coating of clear coat is optional but I applied it anyway.
11. Allow the clear coat to completely dry (2 days) then apply rubbing compound. Then apply a polishing compound.
Hope that helps!