James Sisson (PapaSmurf2k3) 1991 Nissan 240sx
I originally purchased my 91 240sx back in 2002. I was 17 and my first car was a 1987 Nissan Maxima that I picked up in non running condition for $100. I learned a good deal about car mechanics on that car, and it was pretty nice (power EVERYTHING), but I wanted something sportier, and 5 speed. I found this 240 in a local classified ad, and
took one of my friends with me to go check it out. He was big into muscle cars, and didn’t expect much, but told me I HAD to buy that car after ripping some donuts on the test drive. $1600 later and I had bought myself a 1991 240sx 5 speed SE coupe, with my own hard earned money.
Being from New England, the car had some rot in the rocker panels. Free lift time, sheet metal, and welder use at my high school’s auto shop got me started on the never ending battle with rust (still going on to this day).
My first modification was to improve the lack luster sound system. I replaced the factory speakers with Blaupunkt 4x6s in the front, and 6.5s on the rear deck. The head unit was replaced with a motorized Kenwood CD player, which was later modified to be Ipod compatible. A Kenwood 600W amp, 1 Farad capacitor, and 2 10″ kicker subs in the trunk round out the system.
After that, my driver’s side rocker panel rotted out so I decided to make the best of it, and stuff my exhaust through there, and weld up metal around the pipe (keeping clearance so it doesn’t vibrate the car to death). Ever since then, the exhaust has dumped out of the driver’s side rocker panel in a viper-like sidepipe configuration. Around the same time, I also did the 300zx front brake conversion.
In 2004 I picked up another daily driver and pulled the 240 off the road for more serious modifications. I swapped the stock open differential out for a JDM 180sx Limited Slip unit, that allowed me to keep my current axles. I replaced the stock clutch with a Centerforce Dual Friction kit from a local shop. I then made a little trip to a fellow NICO Member’s house (username Fiznat), where I picked up a B&M short shifter, and KYB AGX struts with Eiback Pro-Kit springs. The motor was pulled for a full rebuild. I had a machine shop assemble the bottom end using ARP hardware and supertech 9:1 pistons, as well as rebuild the head. Final engine assembly was done by myself.
Around the same time, a friend of mine was upgrading his WRX, so I figured I’d take his stock turbo, and use it for mock-up purposes (it was way too small for a KA). I ordered a naked JGS turbo manifold, and welded it up myself with subaru flanges. The battery was relocated to the trunk to make room for intercooler piping and the Z32 blow through mass air flow sensor setup. 370cc injectors were installed and controlled via E-manage Blue with Profec E-01 boost controller/programmer. The injectors were later upgraded to 550cc, the Emanage to NISTUNE, and the turbo was upgraded to a Td06 23G.